Thandai is a healthy and refreshing drink and is served in the midst of playing colors. It is a traditional drink of holi festival. This drink gives refreshment to people and adds more joy to holi festival. Different types of ready made thandai are available in market, so, you can buy it to make an instant thandai. You can also make thandai at home and can impress your family and guests. Here are some thandai recipes which will help you to make tasty thandai.
1. Ingredients to make thandai :
- Water – 1 ½ litres
- Sugar – 1 ½ cup
- Milk- milk
- Almonds – 1 tablespoon
- Tarbooj/Kharbooj seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Khuskhus – ½ tablespoon
- Saunf – ½ tablespoon
- Cardamom powder – ½ tablespoon
- Rose water -½ tablespoon
- Peppercorns – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh rose petals – ¼ cup
- First of all soak sugar in ½ liter water and keep it aside.
- Wash all the dry ingredients and keep them aside by soaking them in 2 cups of remaining water for at least 2 hours.
- Then grind all the soaked ingredients expect sugar to make a fine paste.
- Mix remaining water in the fine paste.
- Place this paste on a muslin strainer over a deep vessel and press the muslin to extract liquid into the vessel.
- Continue the process till the residue becomes dry.
- Now add milk, rosewater and sugar to extracted liquid and add cardamom powder.
- Mix well and serve after chilling.
Making time of this recipe is 45 minutes and it will make 8 glasses of thandai.
- Almonds -15
- Aniseed – 2 tablespoon
- Poppy seeds – 2 tablespoon
- Cardamom pods – 8
- Sugar – 12 tablespoon
- Peppercorns – 2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 2 tablespoon
- Water – 300 ml
- Milk – 400 ml
- Crushed ice – 4 tablespoon
Method to make Thandai :
Grind all the dry spices except almonds and grind the almonds separately. Blend them together by adding milk and water. Use cheese cloth to get smooth liquid and serve it cold.